Carolyn Merkel Received a SLU Spark!

Congratulations to Carolyn Merkel, Student Financial Services, who received a SLU Spark! Carolyn was recognized by Kathy Hogan, Student Financial Services, for showing compassion.

"One morning, I was very upset and crying in the bathroom in regards to something my teenager had called me about and a decision he made and was asking me to make. The whole morning I was on and off the phone with the school counselor and my son. I was so stressed and upset. A co-worker saw me in the bathroom and asked if I was ok. I said that I was and left it at that. That co-worker got Carolyn because she knew I was upset. Carolyn rushed down to the bathroom without a thought, came and sat by me, hugged me and asked me what was going on. She stayed as long as I needed her to while consoling me, listening, caring and offering words of advice. This co-worker and friend that I speak about is just getting over breast cancer, still taking radiation treatments. She's been through a lot herself with her health yet she rushed to my side, only thinking of me and my emotional health. She's a very good person and I'm glad that she's in my life."